It was her. The woman he has longed for ever since they have met some months ago. The woman whom he could never truly have.
He watched her for a long time, not quite knowing how to ask what was on his mind. He decided to go with straight forward and inquired.
- So… How many boyfriends have you had?
- Many. – she answered nonchalantly.
- Is that a precise number? – he winked.
She smiled at him.
- So a lot, huh?
They lay there for minutes, cuddled up. He caressed her back, fondled her shoulder-length hair as she distanced herself slightly from his embrace.
- Is it like… double digits? – he proceeded carefully.
- Higher than ten?
- Higher than fifteen?
- Higher than seventeen?
She paused to look at him seriously. Then slid off of the bed and picked her clothes up from around the room’s hardwood floor.
- What are you fishing for?
- I’m not sure.
- Why? Does it matter how many boyfriends I’ve had? How many men I’ve slept with? What are you really trying to ask?
- No, it doesn’t matter. I don’t know why I asked. – he answered sincerely – Never mind.
With all her clothes gathered up she headed towards the bathroom, then changed her mind. She lowered the pile onto an armchair and asked.
- Want to join me for a shower?
Just a one-night stand, a rebound thing… – he thought.
No, somehow it didn’t matter.