Most of you might know by now that I’m not a fan of coffee. Lattes and cappuccinos are okay, but they need some extra yumminess in there, like caramel syrup and a ton of sugar to make sure I drink it.
One morning before leaving for work at 6am, I drank a cup of coffee. Not because I wanted, but because there was no way my eyelids would stay open on their own. So I drank the coffee… but did not like it one bit. That was in November, and I still can’t even look at a cup of coffee!
So the other week, after I stayed up way past my bedtime the night before, I decided to have some coffee. The mere thought of it sent my mind screaming “NO way!”. But then, I started searching for and found something my friend Janel recommended.
Pumpkin Spice Latte. I gave it a go, and my gosh was it wonderful!
Pumpkin Spice Syrup & Latte
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tsp. honey
- butter-vanilla essence
- Combine the water and sugar in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Toss in the cinnamon sticks and whisk in the remaining spices and the pumpkin puree. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks (or strain through a fine mesh strainer).
- Store in the refrigerator.
- To make a pumpkin spice latte: combine 2 ounces of hot coffee or 1 shot of hot espresso with 6 ounces of steamed low-fat milk. Stir in 2 tablespoons of pumpkin spice syrup. Taste and adjust amounts accordingly. Top as desired with freshly whipped cream or a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.
Goes wonderfully with stroopwafles! <3
*Recipe slightly adapted from Annie’s Eats.