This post is pretty much the transcript of my thoughts (only, you know, in a slightly more orderly fashion by now) regarding something that is very new to me, but also something I feel compelled to try.
I liked the Positively Present’s 30 day photo challenge so much in November 2011, that even as I snapped pics of different things on Dani’s list, I kept thinking of starting a photo challenge of my own. So… here it goes:
To make it more manageable because I found that in some cases I needed more time to take the desired photo, and because taking daily photos of one certain thing is, well, a little bit too challenging, I’ve decided on:
a 10 day monthly challenge which will add up to a 30 day seasonal challenge.
Each season will he divided into its pertaining months which will have in turn one theme and ten suggestions.
For now, let’s focus on the month ahead and I’ll update you by the end of December with a more elaborated plan for the rest of Winter, and then the rest of the seasons.
On this page right here, you’ll be able to check for the upcoming themes/suggestions, updates and more information at any given time in the future.
Now let’s leap into:
Winter: “In the Holiday Spirit” December
Holidays, they remind us of the way we should act each day, but don’t. Let’s get into the holiday spirit and appreciate more the beauty all around us throughout December.
- Christmas tree
- Santa’s workshop and/or gifts
- Carols, bells, angels
- Home decorations
- Christmas tree ornaments
- Favorite holiday food and/or drink; festive dinner table
- City decorations
- Walk photo (go for a walk and take a picture of what ever catches your attention most: the view, the path, a leaf, shop window, etc.)
- Fireworks (even if New Years is technically a new month)
If you’re in need of extra suggestions:
- Santa, Sleigh, Season’s motif dishes, Ribbon, Candles, Children playing/unwrapping gifts/etc.
To start things off, I’ve added this month’s logo to this Estrella’s Seasonal Photo Challenge Facebook album which I will update at the beginning of January before blogging about what my photo challenge in December looked like.
Hope you’ll be interested in this quest of capturing the world on camera, the seasons around you, appreciating the little things we might miss. Hope you’ll be eager to sometimes be or at least act fearless and snap photos when you wouldn’t, to embrace present-ness.
And I hope you’ll enjoy the challenge as much as I enjoyed the one I did this past month.
I suppose I’m getting better at leaping and trusting that the net will appear. Will you jump (and take photos) with me?
A few other things to know about the challenge:
- Snap photos when you have time to, don’t get stuck on this being a 10 day monthly challenge. Either you take all the pictures in one single day, stretch them out throughout the month, or shoot them ten days in a row – it’s all acceptable. The point is to have fun with it!
- Take the photos any which way you want to, no need for fancy cameras or anything of that sort.
- Feel free to join in when ever you want to
- You don’t need to be a photographer or even all that interested in photos to participate. You do need to be ready to become more aware of your surroundings and fearlessly start using your camera.
- Don’t let the word "challenge" scare you, all this is for pure fun.
- If you post your photographs online (Picasa web albums, Flickr, Facebook, etc.), feel free to share the links in the comments section. If you want to, you can also email them to my e-mail address which you’ll find in the right hand sidebar. I can’t wait to see your photos so please share!