I don’t know about you, but sadly it’s not within my budget to buy a planter, a plant pot cover for all my plants. I have some left over from previous years, some I received as gifts this year, and some I bought while on hiatus this summer.
Back in June, I gave you guys an idea on upcycling your unused mugs as plant pot covers. Some of those little plants outgrew their pots and needed to be relocated. But the pots I have are used and abused, either plastic or terracotta pots and plain; I just don’t like them anymore. I also have actual plants I wish I had some pot covers for to hide their current “brown plastic look”.
What was my solution for making my plant pots look whimsical and unique without spending any money on them? Read along ;)
First off, I looked around the house and found more items I didn’t use. That’s how the Saintpaulia and Kalanchoe plants each got baskets to look all pretty.
Then, I gathered my terracotta pots, sanded them, primed, then painted in vivid colors. My baby Kalanchoe and baby Hibiscus look very happy in their new pots.
A few days ago, I noticed Rukmini Roy’s blog post about her Indian Clay Pots upcycled to French Country Pots. Needless to say I fell instantly in love with the idea! I quickly gathered a few more of my Hungarian terracotta pots, and with two coats of white+silvery paint, sanding and some pretty, French looking motifs modge podged to their sides — I now have lovely French Country Pottery to display my Fittonia and the baby Avocado in.
And for last, I did a little digging on Google, and found this great idea: fabric covered flower pots!
The pots I wanted to cover already contained most of my Saintpaulias, so I only covered them up to the rim. On the other hand, given the saucers are attached to the bottom and with the fabric not covering the rim, they’ll stay nice and dry when I’m watering the plants.
All the fabric I had laying around the house. As you can see, I went with denim decorated with lace for one of the pots. Colorful flower motif fabric decorated by tied sisal rope on the second. And since I used cut off shirt sleeves to cover the third plant pot, I decorated the sides with the left over cuffs. My Saintpaulia window garden is so much more fun than it was before!