When my friend Trisha visited me in back April, we had plans for traveling to Brasov. We had an amazing time, which I’ll tell you about in travel articles soon!
However, the trip also included an eight-hour long train ride, which was delayed as well for a good half an hour. It was okay, both of us can go for a long time without the need to fill the air with chitchat just for the sake of not shutting up. We’re into actual, meaningful conversations.
As we found out though, men can’t!
We were stuck in the same cubicle with five cricket players going for a game in Bucharest. And as fun as it was at the beginning of the trip listening in on their discussion while they had no idea we spoke the language… it was also the longest train ride of my life!
Since it was fun for a while, I pretended to text and took notes into a memo on my phone. Here’s what these five guys talked about, from start to end, during the ride:
- Licking… – (yeah, I’m not finishing that thought)
- Sex and love have nothing to do with each other
- Marriage – they’d rather not, although two of them were married
- Citizenship and EU
- Australian football – Trisha was more interested in this particular topic than I was ;) The guys were misinformed regarding the game, by the way.
- British trains vs.. Romanian ones
- Medical insurance
- Dating four girls at once
- Cheating on wives – As okay as they made the issue sound, somehow I don’t think they’d be happy to be in a reversed situation where their wives cheated on them.
- Wedding rings being taken off – one of the guys, who sat beside me, had his wedding band on, then had taken it off in less than half an hour into the journey.
- Romania is beautiful
- Eating monkeys – they said it smells like beef tastes like chicken
- Sports. Exercise. Gym. Etc.
- Playing practices in football
- Women and men – nationalities, as in, stereotypes
- Drinking and being drunk
- Speaking Romanian – one of them was from Africa, but also lived in Britain for a long time before marrying a Hungarian woman here in Cluj-Napoca.
- Cost of living
- Visas and Women – they discussed which country has an industry of women who marry rich foreign people for visas
- Nuclear bombs
- Romanians are cowards – thoroughly explained by one of the Romanian guys, who said Hungarian ruled best in Transylvania. Romania never won any real battles. History is being written in the present.
- What one does for a living in Romania, and being content with what the government offers
- Pay for everything get nothing back
- Where water is good or treated
- Sports, fair play, fixed games, cricket.
- Silly bets
- Hair care
- How many wives one can have – Islam …
And at this point we were well into hour six of the train ride and I simply stopped caring. The rest was mostly girls, sex and sports anyway.
Girls and sex was a running theme regardless of whatever else they were talking about.
So I’m now asking all men reading this blog post: what is your take on these topics, as in is it normal guy talk when guys talk? Or is it just this subset of the male species (i.e. sportsmen) that seem to focus so much on girls, sex, sports?
And a question to my lady audience: have you overheard similar conversations? Hubbies, boyfriend, guy friends? Details please, I’m wondering just how alike men all over the globe are?