In the “pot calls kettle black” fashion, I thought to suggest to a friend that they stand up for themselves and do what they love. Interestingly enough, I hardly ever take my own advice…
So when, during my first week off from work, I stumbled upon Cathy’s blog post about the #5things4me meme, I felt instantly inspired.
After heading over to read the introductory blog post from SemperFiMomma, I drew my conclusions and decided this was something I needed to do myself.
I know, logically, that it’s important to take care of myself. To do things I enjoy, to say no to things I don’t wish to do, and make time for what I love. However, more often than not, I notice work taking over every aspect of my life.
So that day, I made a list. Having time off from work during 26 Aug. to 8 Sept. I’m hoping to turn this into a habit I’ll keep even when I go back.
- Read before bed, at least half an hour.
- Write, at least one hour every day.
- Spend a day in bed.
- Treat myself to a slice of cake.
- (A spa-day is out of the question, but) Get a facial, manicure and eyelash tinting.
- Craft – I have quite a few ideas, but couldn’t find the time to make stuff.
- Bake cookies (or something).
- Shower, and get into bed early even if I’ll continue editing, etc. from there.
- Paint my nails.
- Say “No” to something I don’t need to do.
What I notice now that the two weeks have passed is that I managed to stay on track.
Of course, some goals were really easily kept, like reading before bed and cooking more. Some goals were skipped one day but met for longer periods of time on other days, like writing. And some goals just weren’t met, like painting my nails.
While I am happy with the overall outcome, I suspect the challenge part of this to kick in once I’m back at work starting today. This is when I truly struggle to find time for myself and not fully get lost in a workday…