I read this list of ten reasons it’s great to be a writer, on AuthorCulture (yes, years ago!) which they’ve re-blogged, originally written by Elspeth Antonelli, and thought to myself: I need to come up with my own list.
So… here it goes.
- Doesn’t matter if you’re a cat/dog/bunny person — any pet will be a good writing companion as long as you don’t forget to feed them while immersed in your words.
- You are free to read what ever you like – when one of your choices might be frowned upon, you can just call it research. (And as Elspeth herself has phrased it, “Actually, anything can be explained as research – it just takes a bit of thought.”)
- You can look at nearly anything and see way beyond everyone around you does. Say you’re at a wedding, and need a survival guide? You’ll write it yourself.
- You can be completely schizophrenic about wanting to be alone and wanting everyone gone when you’re deep in thoughts; and then wanting them back the minute they’re not around.
- If you are really, really lucky, your friends will let you get away with simply observing and not chiming in too much in their conversations during a night out — they’ll know (and understand) you’re
writingplotting even when you’re not physically putting pen to paper.
What other reasons can You come up with?