Usually on weekends while cooking and cleaning, or in the evenings while tidying up I watch (ok, more like listen to, and glance up at) TED Talks, music and YouTube videos. DIY ideas, home organization, cooking, and sometimes even makeup channels on the latter.
There is a tag floating around on there among beauty channels, called “My first time” and people get all chatty answering the questions.
I’m not sure who started the tag, and I’m not going to go search for them either, but the questions did sound interesting when I happened upon a vlog this past weekend. In 2010 I wrote a blog post regarding multiple firsts during my trip to Sicily, and in 2011 a shorter list of firsts after a weekend trip to Paris, so figured it’d be fun to give this tag a go.
Here are the “My first time” tag questions and my answers:
- What was your FIRST job?
– Introducing data sets into a database using a custom made interface application.
Sounds fancy, right? In translation, it means I received in between 500-2000 handwritten ads and worked day and night over the weekends to introduce them into a local newspaper’s database.
I started working there in July after finishing high school. I liked the writing. I hated losing my weekends, the Monday morning deadline, and deciphering everyone’s weird handwriting made worse by grammar errors. I lasted about four months.
- What was your FIRST car?
– I don’t own a car. However, the very first car I drove was a friend’s BMW, and I drove it on a village dirt road, in the dark, during my trip to Sicily.
- Who was the FIRST person to text you today?
– One of my friends.
- Who was your FIRST grade teacher?
– I can not for the life of me recall her name, but my first grade teacher was in her first year ever of teaching and wasn’t any good at it unfortunately. She left the school at the end of the school year and starting second grade we got a man teacher who was awesome, Mr. Terebesi!
- Where did you go on your FIRST ride on an airplane?
– My parents took me to the Romanian seaside, to Constanta. I was around three years old though, so don’t remember the flight at all.
- Who was your FIRST best friend & do you still talk?
– A girl who lived next door to us while I was growing up. We kind of lost touch when I moved at the end of fourth grade. There was no internet or cell phones at our every step back then!
- Where was your FIRST sleep over?
– In the summer of either fifth or sixth grade, when I went to Aghiresu village with two friends to their grandparent’s place for a weekend.
- Who was the FIRST person you talked to today?
The cat.My boyfriend.
- Whose wedding were you in the FIRST time?
– I was flower girl in the wedding of close family friends, in the summer of 1998.
- What was the FIRST thing you did this morning?
– Coaxed Pixel kitten off of me so I could get out of bed.
- What was the FIRST concert you ever went to?
– My mom joined the church choir in 1996, so probably some kind of choir concert – when ever they went on concerts I was taken along. I later joined myself, so I was “in” the concerts. Same with the high school choir I was in.
The first non-church-related concert I went to was in the summer of 2005, when I visited a friend of mine in Hungary. We just happened to be in Tiszaujvaros right when the concert started. We saw REPUBLIC, and I even got an autograph from the lead singer on the only piece of paper I had on me: a slip from school which my pastor needed to sign, proving I went to church all summer. I still feel pretty badass about that!
- FIRST broken bone?
– Haven’t had any broken bones, just turned my ankle one evening four years ago. I don’t even want to know what a broken bone feels like, since the turned ankle hurt quite a lot!
- FIRST piercing?
– My mom got my ears pierced right after I was born.
I wanted a third earring, which I pierced my ear for in the summer of 2002 before starting high school.
- FIRST movie you remember seeing?
– I’ll assume this means at the cinema, and not at home.
The Bodyguard. My mom took me because she wanted to see the movie, but has never been to the cinema it was playing at. When we got there, it turned out to be a restaurant with a cinema (like Foreign Cinema, in San Francisco.) I was the happiest and enjoyed being waited on. Too bad that cinema closed and nothing like it opened here ever since… it’s a fun idea, I think.
- When was your FIRST detention?
– We didn’t really have detention at my school, but if I recall correctly, we all got a time-out in first grade and had to stay after school for like ten extra minutes.
- Who was your FIRST roommate?
– My second boyfriend. We lived together for a few years, until 2010.
- What were the FIRST lessons you ever took?
– I did Aerobics in fifth grade if that counts; and had English lessons at church with Bruce, a pastor from the Netherlands who was in Cluj-Napoca for about a year.
- Who was the FIRST person “beauty-related” on Youtube you ever watched?
– I used to watch Ingrid Nilsen when I first started watching YouTube videos/channels around 2008.
That completes the tag. If you feel like sharing, go ahead and answer the questions in the comments below. Or if so inclined, write a blog post of your own and let me know where I can find it – I’d love to read about your first time(s)!